Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Can I Get My Friend Gyasi To Watch The Bachelorette? Week 1: Hey, Let's Do This Together, My Guy

 Fell in love with a girl/I fell in love once and almost completely/She's in love with the world/But sometimes these feelings can be so misleading. -Jack White 
(Confused? Maybe this'll help ya out)

The Bachelor and The Bachelorette couldn't be more similar and more different. It's the same concept/premise, same mansion (from what I can tell and what Jojo said when she saw Chris Harrison emerge from his mists of self-congratulation, hey speaking of), same host and the same feeling of intrigue on my part, etc. But there's a different feeling in the air and ultimately in my heart, having now accepted The Bachelorette into my heart (though I did that with Jojo herself long ago).

I think that energy is a little thing called testosterone and an incredible influx of masculinity, but this is a different breed. And this, by no means, is a new or even interesting hypothesis and it's probably been studied ad-nauseum so I won't even go into that. However, I'm just not a naturally competitive person, I don't have that drive in me, especially not right off the bat which would probably make me a poor competitor if I were ever on The Bachelorette.

But seeing these gentlemen, who are all admittedly douches and garbage people and are far from up to snuff for Jojo, there's something strangely compelling to see them compete against one another. I've never seen Ridley Scott's Gladiator, but I can only imagine the intense adrenaline rush Russell Crowe has in that movie as the titular gladiator is comparable to the drive these guys have while competing for Jojo's love. It's a smart move on ABC's part to have The Bachelorette happen at the same time the NBA finals are going on; no matter what happens, this week's episode is sandwiched between the Draymond kick to Steven Adams' plums and the aftermath of a not-suspension.

And there's not much competing that goes on in that first episode, because there's only so much that you can do while just dicking around in some mansion and drinking from an endless well of alcohol. No one knows how to strategize at first and that's okay, but the time for sabotage is for later, week 1 is for first impressions. And I can't speak for these guys, because that's not doing them justice, but I will say, there's nothing more entertaining than seeing just dudes and bros try to downplay their emotions and clearly seeing the gears in their heads turn as they fight off the instinct to call another one of their fellow dudes a derogatory slur on camera, and then try to make up for it on the upswing whenever they're with Jojo and can't help but tell her either how "excited" or "nervous" they are.

I feel ya, guy. I feel ya. We're all nervous and excited. So why should you watch The Bachelorette, Gyasi? Because doesn't feel good to be back! And I hope that you, like these dudes who're putting it all on the line for love, can relate, as we've all been there. Take a chance, just like they have, but with much higher stakes.

No comments: